Soft, lightweight, and airy, linen is an exceptional fabric synonymous with comfort that has existed for around 4,000 years. Owing to its excellent features, this versatile material is used in the making of various kinds of apparel including ethnic wear. Lately, linen has emerged as a popular choice of fabric in Indian sarees online. Offered in a variety of enchanting styles and designs, linen sarees are perfect for daily wear as well as for special occasions.
The making of linen sarees
The linen fabric is derived from the fibres of the flax plant (Linum usitatissimum), which happens to be among the oldest plants cultivated by humans. These fibres are separated from the mass and then later on they are separated from each other with the aid of a comb in a process known as heckling. The material born as a result of this process is linen, which is used to make exquisite linen sarees and also other garments like a kurti for women.
What makes linen sarees special?
- Linen is moisture-absorbent – which makes these sarees perfect to be worn all around the year, especially during the hot and sweaty summers.
- Linen is one of the most resilient fabrics possessing a tensile strength twice that of cotton and thrice that of wool, which leaves no doubt as to the quality and longevity of authentic linen sarees.
- Linen sarees are warp-based and not weft-based, and their thread count is determined by the number of vertical threads (warps) and horizontal threads (wefts) per square inch. On average, these sarees have a thread count of 60 to 120. The higher the thread count of a linen saree, the softer will be its texture and this softness increases over time with use.
Different variants of linen sarees
- Cotton linen sarees – The amalgamation of linen and cotton – two of the most skin-friendly fabrics in existence – makes cotton linen sarees a must-have in your summer wardrobe.
- Silk linen sarees – The fascinating blend of linen and silk in these sarees grants them a breathtaking lustre that looks absolutely spectacular! Silk linen sarees are perfect for grand occasions like weddings, festivities, etc.
Popular designs in linen sarees
- Prints – Prints can never disappoint, hence it is no surprise that printed linen sarees are a huge rage too! Block prints and floral motifs are some of the most popular prints featured in linen sarees.
- Embroidery – Embroideries such as zari, thread work, Lucknowi, etc. are bestselling ones in linen sarees. These sarees are perfect for all special events as they transform the wearer into a picture of royalty with their magnificent designs.
Tips to style linen sarees for multiple occasions
- To achieve the perfect formal look for the office, you can pair your linen saree with accessories like a piece of artificial statement jewellery, an elegant wristwatch, stylish flats, a tote bag, etc.
- For special celebrations, you can accessorise your linen saree with pearl or diamond jewellery, a shiny sling purse, wedge sandals, etc.
So, this is all you need to know about the ethnic marvel that is a linen saree. Apart from sarees, the popularity of linen palazzo suit sets, lehengas, etc. is also rising among ladies.
- Invisalign vs. Braces: The Pros and Cons of Each
- A Brief History on How Eternity Rings Came to Be
- What are the Different Types of Gemstones That Exist Today
- The Most Common Myths and Misconceptions About Shapewear
- How to Get Rid of Dandruff: Causes and Treatment
- Styling Organza Saree
- 7 Viable Hair Removal Methods for Women
- Are Necklaces or Chains Attractive on Guys?
- Triceps Exercise Guide for Beginners
- Perfect Picnic Outfits
- 6 Killer Chest Workouts for Strengthening the Upper Body