Whenever I read or write about vegetables or fruits I am reminded of my childhood days where my mother used to force feed me all these. Earlier I did not know why she did that but yeah now I know how important these are. Well the benefits of having fruits and vegetables in your diet are two edged. Firstly they have health benefits and secondly they fulfill almost all our nutritional requirements. Here I will discuss in the light of the above mentioned.
A: HEALTH BENEFITS
- First of all having fruits and vegetables in right quantity daily reduces cholesterol and the risk of a heart attack. Well just imagine if we take proper diet and in that include fruits and veggies we can minimize if not eliminate the risk of heart problems. No huge hospital bills, just one proactive approach.
- Not just heart disease, having sustained and balanced diet having fruits and vegetables reduces the risk of various types of cancers. A disease which is hard to conquer can be prevented just by having fruits and veggies. Cook them the way you like, eat them, satisfy your tongue and they will protect you from cancer. Not a bad deal? Is it?
- Keeping your diet rich in some fiber fruits and vegetables like berries, brans, oats etc. can reduce the risk or various heart diseases, obesity and even type 2 diabetes.
- They furthermore reduce the risk of kidney stones, and even lower the blood pressure.
- These are also vital for the maintenance of health and bodily functions. They not only keep your diet balanced, but also enrich it with all the nutrients required.
- Fruits like apple and berries have fat cutting abilities, so if you are a fitness freak, you can shift to a fruit-veggie diet to get health benefits.
Not just health benefits, but these, be it fruits or vegetables are the components which are inseparable from a balanced diet. They also have some nutrient benefits.
B: NUTRIENT BENEFITS
- Vegetables and fruits are essential components of healthy eating and are sources of various important nutrients like fiber, potassium, folic acid vitamins like vitamin A, E, C. Veggies like broccoli, spinach, garlic etc. have huge health benefits, as a result of which these are given tags of “super food”.
- No vegetable has cholesterol, thus a boon for all heart patients.
- Most of the vegetables are low in fats and calories and high on nutrients.
- Vegetables such as sweet potatoes, potatoes, white beans, kidney beans, soyabeans, spinach, lentils etc. are great sources of potassium, which helps maintain ideal\ healthy blood pressure.
- Folic acid present in various veggies and fruits helps to form RBC’s (red blood cells). Thus it is a must for women who are pregnant or about to bear a child. It helps in condition of excess blood loss.
- Vitamin C present in citrus fruits helps in healing cuts and wounds. Not only that but it also takes good care of our teeth, mouth and gums. It is even more necessary for women as it helps in the absorption of iron.
- Strawberries are nutrient rich and packed with antioxidants. They are also rich in vitamin-c, folic acid and fiber. Further they not only are good for eye’s health but are also good for sex health (due to them containing omega-3 fatty acids).Well I always believe in the philosophy of “better safe than sorry “and “prevention is better than cure”. When as now we know all the benefits and preventive abilities of fruits and vegetables. Why not start today, for a healthy tomorrow. We can mitigate so many ailments just by shifting to some healthy habits.
Also Read: Path To Your Better Health
Image Credit: Google