When we hear the word ‘bra’, some of us just picture two cups that are attached by a string at the back, while some just consider it as an item of clothing (which is true though). Bras are so integral to our everyday lives that we wear them day in and day out! And, without a doubt, the main purpose of a bra is to give you lift and support. But, gone are those days when it was just that. Now, bras are definitely much more than just being an undergarment. Some styles are designed to be shown to the world, while some can be teamed-up with your jacket or a shirt with an open front for that chic look. Available in different shapes and sizes, bras for women come in diverse types too, including wireless, push-up, lace-cups, plunge-necks, demis, balconette, strapless, convertible and many more. You probably just can’t wait to get your hands on that voguish polka dot print bra, but there is a lot of information you don’t know about this piece of undergarment.
There are stories and unknown facts about everything, and bras are no different; even they have their story! Mentioned below are seven facts about brassieres that we bet you didn’t know before:
1. Following 15 years of empirical research, a French sports researcher named Jean-Denis Rouillon discovered that women who don’t wear bras tend to have perkier breasts on an average. The researcher from the University of Besançon also found that as compared to regular bra wearers, those going braless had nipples, on average, 7 mm higher relative to their shoulders. So keep your bras on, ladies!
2. As like any other piece of clothing, your bra needs to be treated with special care. Yes, you heard that right! So now that you know this, don’t wash those stylish and cute brassieres with the rest of your clothes. Wash them in a shorter spin cycle with less rubbing, and make sure they are simply air-dried in the shade. This way, your bra will not lose its elasticity over a period of time.
3. Your bra size can change. Wait, what? And you thought you knew your bras. Tsk tsk, ladies! There was a survey in 2013 that showed that women’s bra size in the U.S., on an average, had increased from 34B to 34DD in merely two decades. Who actually knew bra sizes could be so complex? I didn’t, and I’m sure you didn’t either!
4. These days, women tend to choose bras as per the cup size, be it A, B, C or D. However, you will be surprised to know that it wasn’t the same earlier. These cup sizes were introduced in the year 1937. But, before that, these cups had nicknames like challenge cup, coffee cup, egg cup and tea cup. Sounds funny, right?
5. Ladies, your bra comes with an expiration date. I know, I know, shopping for bras can really be infuriating, and you would love to keep that hot pink-coloured chic bra for a longer time. But you just can’t! Although you simply can’t find expiration date written on your bra or may be sewn on the fabric, they do have one. They are not like your cool, blue-coloured pair of jeans that tends to get better with time. If you want them to last at least a year, give them a day off in between (don’t we all need that relaxing weekend as well?). This avoids the fabric from stretching out, thus increasing their lifespan. Wash and store them with proper care. But, whenever you feel that your bra is not lending proper support, understand that you need to hit the store!
6. Who doesn’t like to have a wardrobe full of different dresses? But girls, your favourite bra might not be the apt choice for that sexy LBD. Neckline, fabric, back, and colour of a dress determine which bra will suit you the best. As if things weren’t complicated enough! Different bras are meant for different shapes, which is why you need to pick the bra that will give you a snug fit, apart from going perfectly with your chic bodycon or that cute t-shirt dress. Bras offering complete coverage are sure to keep everything in place, but a balconette bra is sure to give you a full, round shape.
7. When we say sports bra, the primary thing that comes to mind is its use in high-intensity workouts, low-intensity activities like yoga or while playing different sports, like volleyball and soccer. But you might not know the fact that there is a sports bra worth $1,000 that makes use of heat sensors for detecting symptoms of breast cancer six years earlier than a mammogram. Interesting, isn’t it?
Now, that you are aware of these little, fun secrets about your humble brassieres, make sure to use this information to actually help yourself find the best product for a better fit and unmatchable style. Needless to say, our cute and stylish bras never fail to surprise – just like your much-loved bosoms!
- Priyanka Chopra In Ralph Lauren: Yay Or Nay?
- Building The Essential Wardrobe: Tips And Tricks
- Guide To Women’s Skirt Suits
- Eyes Where It Matters: 7 Ways To Emphasize Your Beautiful And Elegant Neck
- Survival Makeup Kit-The 5 Products To Put In It
- Tamannaah Bhatia In Rimple And Harpreet Narula: Yay Or Nay?
- Sonakshi Sinha Looking Stunning In An Amit Aggarwal Outfit