Sleep is defined as the state where you take rest by suspension of powers and exercise of the mind and body. While we sleep our body take rests and repairs itself. Sleep is a state where our entire nervous system takes rest and we move into a “slow down attitude.”
We generally go through two phases of sleep called “the slow wave sleep” and “the dream sleep.” In “the slow wave sleep” our body takes rest and relaxes with a slow down attitude. And in the other phase that is “the dream sleep” brings to fore all the bottled tensions of your mind. Your dreams have an indirect connection to the emotional state of your mind. While dreaming our breathing and pulse rate becomes much more rapid and irregular but our muscles are said to be relaxed.
As most of us know that getting our 8 hours of sleep per day is considered normal but as we grow older, the sleep requirement reduces to 5-6 hours per day. Beauty and Sleep are co related to each other. Lack of sleep causes headaches, blotchy skin, dull and tired eyes, lustre less hair, illness, insomnia and sluggish body functions. Insomnia causes degeneration in body. Insomnia can be defined as the state in which anyone finds it difficult to fall asleep. The need for sleep varies from person to person and it reduces as you grow older. Insomnia cannot be cured with the help of tranquilizers. Insomnia patients get best result with the help of homeopathic treatments. Insomnia is related with the tension and anxiety of the individual.
Important tips to catch a sound sleep:
- Use a mattress which is comfortable with uniform softness.
- Heated and stuffy rooms retard sleep. So avoid sleeping in such rooms.
- Fix a particular time and get to bed at that particular time every night till it forms a habit with you.
- Avoid using alcohol and caffeine before going to bed.
- Avoid using to many pillows.
- You can drink a glass of hot milk to stimulate sleep.
- Never use any tranquilizer to stimulate sleep.
- Have a hot pre bed bath as it induces sleep.
- Relax before going to bed, you can read any book or flip through the pages of your favourite magazine.
- Try to keep a positive frame of mind before going to bed.
- You can try some other ways also for example, you can take one litre of water and lettuce leaves, boil them well. This drink helps you feel relax and acts as a mild sedative.
- Remove all tension ridden thoughts from mind before going to bed. Try and concentrate on things which are pleasant, soothing and clam.
- You can also use the very well known and famous “sheep counting” method or you can opt for some yoga exercise, one of which is “Corpse Position” of yoga. All you need to do is lie on your back on a firm and flat surface with your legs slightly apart and stretched, feet falling sideways. Arms placed at the sides with palms facing upwards. Keep your breathing movement even and slow. Take a deep breath which allows your tummy to expand when you breathe out and pull in your stomach, expand your ribs when you breathe in. Try and relax your entire body beginning from your toes and slowly moving upwards believing that your entire body is very drowsy and sleepy. Remain in this situation for 10 minutes, you will automatically move into a deep slumber without even realizing it.