Skincare has always been a priority for image conscious people. This desire to look appealing has been engrained into the human psyche ever since we developed methods of increasing our aesthetic appeal. Then, with the progression of cosmetic science, skincare has advanced by leaps and bounds, to the point where age-defying products are now available, and more effective versions of those are currently under development.
Skincare: Then VS Now
One aspect of skincare then versus now, is the increase in synthetic compounds in beauty treatments. Natural ingredients, which were all that the ancient humans had, were being neglected in favor of synthetic chemicals and products which, although effective, were not viable in the long term. Many people often ask does proactiv really work?
Ancient Skincare Practices
Following were some of the most common skincare practices for people of ancient civilizations.
- Usage of oils and cream-based emulsions for moisturizing and skin-softening.
- Clay and earthy materials for cleansing as well as exfoliating skin. The abrasive grains in these materials would eat away at the top layer of skin, revealing the healthy skin underneath.
- Usage of organic pigments to add color to cheeks and other areas of the face.
- Applying rose water rand flower essences to tone the skin and prevent skin ageing. This practice is still just as popular today.
- Using animal dung as an all-round beauty treatment. Admittedly, this does not sound too appetizing, and we’re all lucky that this practice is not en vogue still!
Modern Skincare Practices
Now, following are some modern skincare practices which are prevalent, and being advanced, today.
- Usage of synthetic peptides and brightening compounds to lighten the skin and prevent blemishes.
- Naturally derived chemical compounds, used in conjunction with synthetic solutions, to aid with preventing and removing wrinkles from face.
- Usage of relaxants to prevent facial muscle activation, to further prevent wrinkles and fine lines.
- Usage of toxic compounds to get fuller and tighter skin.
Right off the bat, it is easier to see how and why the older skincare practices had, and still have, more viability, as compared to modern methods. The use of organic compounds and natural ingredients yields much better long term results and is generally safer.
To that end, following are some tried and tested skincare methods of old, that you can still use today, to brilliant effect. These methods will not only have your skin looking better, for longer, they will not cost you an arm and a leg either!
Sea Salt and Cream Mixture for Skin Cleansing and Softening
This beauty treatment comes all the way from Japan, where the Geisha (courtesans) would use it as a massaging scrub. This particular treatment is only applicable if you can source pure sea salt, with no additives, and pure whipped cream. Rest assured that your skin will thank you for it by being softer and more vibrant than ever before.
Green tea is among the very finest antioxidant and cleansing agents, having roots in the Far East, where people defied age like nobody’s business, and still continue to do so. Green tea has several extremely beneficial properties, among which are the internal cleansing and detoxifying of the body, as well as elimination of free radicals, which are the root cause of inflammation.
In addition to that, green tea is known as the premier acne relieving solution, due to its antioxidant content, which is higher than black tea and among the highest in the nutrient world. There are several ways to consume green tea, and the best way is up to your taste. If you are looking for drastic skin cleansing and toning, try drinking Matcha, which is a concentrated form of green tea.
A single egg (organic) has all the proteins, minerals and vitamins that your skin needs to stay healthy and vibrant. While it may be less than appetizing, applying a whole egg to your face will nourish it deeply, providing all the vital nutrients, as well as some extra Vitamin D, further protecting the skin.
Collagen replenishment is a specialty of egg, and if you want to maintain the elasticity and tightness of your skin, apply a whole egg daily to a cleansed face. You will not be disappointed!